Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rivera Uruguay - December 5th 2011

Hola from the 'guay!

I wake up every day at 6:30 and start working out, after prayers of course. I then hop in the shower, because the water is really hot and really cold off and on so you have to hop....or something like that. After getting ready, I cook breakfast which is either oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar or rice and eggs. Or rice with cinnamon and sugar. Then we do personal study from 8 to 9 and comp study from 9 to 11 and language study from 11 to 12 and then we have lunch with a member till about 1 or 1:30 and then we get out and beat the streets. We look up old contacts, less active members, struggling members, recent converts, go tracting, teach lessons. Ya know, the usual. We do this until 8:30 unless we're in a lesson or close to home and we're home by 9. We then plan til 9:30 and if I feel up to it, I do core. If not, we eat a little more of whatever, prep for bed, write in journals. Sack out at 10:30. Wake up, repeat. That's my life. Don't worry. I'm getting enough to eat. We do some manner of service every week or so.

We have not been able to meet with Nikolas since and America's daughter who lives next door wouldn't let us talk to her mother because "she's evangelical and doesn't wanna hear your message". Funny, she told us to come back when we were teaching her... Oh well.... We found a few new investigators this last week so we'll see what happens. Josè stands out because he pretty much came up to us at church and said he wanted to be baptized  So, we made the hour and 20 minute walk to his house to talk with him on Wednesday and he was super receptive and we said we'd come back for another lesson on Sunday, we'd see him at church and we commited him to be baptized the 17th of December. Well... He didn't show up to church. And then he wasn't home when we went for our lesson. So we contacted around the area and came back and hour later. And still no one was home. So we trekked the hour and 20 minutes back to another lesson. Rather nice, huh? Whaddaya do? I just hope we can get in touch with him again and get him rollin on the right path. I bore my testimony in sacrament meeting yesterday.

We have Zone Conference in Tacuarembò tomorrow which means I will not be getting the mail bolsa. That means, no mail or packages, in or out for all of this week. I started reading the new testament. I'm reading it in my spare time. It's rather nice. I've got a thumb in all the standard works now hahha I love the scriptures. Tell everyone sorry about the wait on mail. Next week!  My spanish is getting better. I understand a lot now and speaking gets a little bit easier every time. I still can't speak nearly as well as i'd like to but I know it'll come.

We call this place The Shire because everyone is super chill, no one works, they're always drinking their matè, all a bit on the short side, love to give you water and food, throw rocks at anything that moves on 4 legs, lots of campo and a decent amount of poverty. (That was something I thought you might get a kick out of. :)

We play soccer on Saturday nights with a bunch of the local kids as a means of finding new investigators. We use the courts that are on the same property as the church and we always close with spiritual thought and sometimes place materials.

The most I feel the spirit is when we kneel in prayer with investigators! Whew that stuff lays into you and you just wanna go take a nap afterwards.

Here's a scripture for you. 2 NefI 32:9,
9  But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the cname of Christ, that he will dconsecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the ewelfare of thy soul.

We don't pray in just our trials, we need to pray to him at all times. We don't do a thing without talking to our Father. It's not really a sugguestion. More of a way of life. Pretty boss that we've an all knowing all powerful father we can talk to at anytime, right?

One more scripture reference. Alma 5:7-9 and 7:24

7 Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God. Behold, they were in the midst of darkness; nevertheless, their souls were illuminated by the light of the everlasting word; yea, they were encircled about by the bands of death, and the chains of hell, and an everlasting destruction did await them.

 8 And now I ask of you, my brethren, were they destroyed? Behold, I say unto you, Nay, they were not.

 9 And again I ask, were the bands of death broken, and the chains of hell which encircled them about, were they loosed? I say unto you, Yea, they were loosed, and their souls did expand, and they did sing redeeming love. And I say unto you that they are saved.

and
Alma 7:24
 24 And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works.


First off, might I say I love the wording of the book of mormon?  There are so many passages where the word choice is wonderful! Other than that, this is what God can do for us. I love it.

These pics are from today. We were trying to find the other elders house and ended up finding this hand.  Until next week

Chau!
 Elder Simpson



No comments:

Post a Comment