Monday, September 24, 2012

Cardona Uruguay - Sept 24th 2012

Hi All,

Monday, pday. Always good. Tuesday, got SOAKED! But had a killer lesson with Cristhina. We had brutal winds and a torrential downpour Tuesday evening but it was okay because the Spirit kept us warm, because our trench coats couldn't, being thoroghly soaked. Wellll....it was okay, but then we had to get up at 3:30 am to catch a bus to Montevideo. And our trench coats were kinda dry. Until we walked out the door and got soaked at 4:30 in the morning. Not fun. So we sat wet on a bus for 3 hours with the lady next to us coughing up a lung the entire way. There went my beauty sleep....And it rained. And rained. And rained.... and then rained some more.

Then we got a call from the zone leaders 5 minutes before we  got in to MonteVideo saying that they didn't wait because...well....yea....that's literally what they told me. Then, they gave me crappy directions. But I didn't know that til 10 blocks and 20 minutes later, dripping like a sewer rat in the most furious storm of my life minutes before a conference with a member of the 70. So I chuckled as I thought of torturing them and got us back to the right place. So, soaked, we sat through a really cool 3 hour conference with elder ViƱas about conversion and retention and the fact that like 11% of the people that we're baptizing are staying active after the first year. Gotta fix that one.... It was great!

Then, we got wet on the way to XXX to catch our bus to Cardona. And when we got home....no more rain. I WAS SO HAPPY FOR NO MORE RAIN! And I put on dry clothes and it was great and I was warm and toasty and happy. And then. I got sick on Saturday. There's a shocker. It's really just been more like really really bad allergies so i can't complain if that's the worst I'm getting after being soaked for 24 hours straight.





I know that I'm going to chuckle about this storm in a few weeks and it'll only get funnier with time. We had a good time with it on Tuesday night but Wednesday was just miserable....Also. Someone threw an egg at us the other day, probably trying to stick it with the insult so commonly hurled at us. Juevos. How original....Anyway. I totally felt like Samuel the Lamanite because it zipped past my head and landed in front of us. I'm sure kids could have sworn it was gonna hit us. God protected us. I know He did.

I do need to get a new umbrella.  Mine very nearly lost it's life in the storm on Wednesday and Tuesday. You can see in the picture what happened to Elder Rosete's Umbrella.



Faith is a prerequisite to learning. That was something that I had never considered and really enjoyed. Our next door neighbor is Juan. He's the executive secretary of the branch and a RM of 6 years. He's been really frustrated with his life in that he's not been able to progress in his work and he had great plans for after the mission when he left but due to family problems, he's been working like a fool trying to make up the loses. Today...He asked me to help him learn English. He received a job offer in the United States. His dreams are all right before his eyes and he still can't believe it. I dunno why I'm sharing this I just want to say that the Lord always makes good on His word and always has our best interest in mind. It took 6 years for Juan to even possibly have the chance of progressing in this life because almost all of his earnings have been going to support his mother who got divorced from his father during his mission service. And it went from I'm never getting out of this po-dunk town to I have to learn English now because I'm getting out of here. Only the Lord moves so swiftly, precisely and certainly. It is our job to stay on our feet and ready for when He gives us blessings and even more urgent, for when He comes. 

 Well...that's about it for this week mom.  I know that Christ lives and that He kept me safe and healthy through that storm. We are protected by the spirit. I know we are.

Elder Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment