Hi All,
I thought I'd start off with a funny fact about bugs. We’ve got ‘roaches...and skeeters.... freakin skeeters. I put up my mosquito net for the first time in my mission this week. Turns out we’d left a kitchen ventilator uncovered one night and it was ridiculous! We had a ton of mosquitoes inside for 3 days. Not cool. That said, it was really hot for the first half of the week. Up til about Saturday. And I mean hot when I say hot. It’s finally starting to get warm for me. I just keep telling myself that I’ve seen worse, and it helps a bit. Granted, with all that heat, we had a ton of sun. As such, we bought sombreros! They’re pretty fun and keep the sun off of my tender white face. Then, Friday it was hot til about noon and then it got cloudy and the temperature started to drop and it absolutely poured at 4! It was INSANE! Luckily, we had just stepped inside and it blew past in about 15 minutes. Then for the rest of the day, Saturday and Sunday it was overcast and cool. Now it’s sunny and heading towards hot. I’`m just happy all the friggin humidity is gone.
You probably already know, but changes are on Tuesday the 20th. This change is just about over and I'm almost positive that I'll be moving to another area on the 20th. The zone leaders made a couple of cracks on Sunday during our weekly
leadership meeting about having to teach their district leaders from
scratch next week, so it’s rather possible that we’re outtie like a
belly button. Only time will tell. And yes, that does mean that next
week I will be writing you on Tuesday. I cannot believe that yet another
change has flown past….my time is growing short. NOT COOL. That also one long sleepless night and lots of packing and moving. The crazy thing is, I actually enjoy it. Changes are a blast and I like moving around the mission. It's not for sure though, but I am ready to get outta here. It's been a really tough week, but I still am going to miss a lot of really special people that I've come to know and love here. It's hard that way, but I know that if they keep up with the things that we and others have taught them, I'll see them once more. Be it in this life, or the next, I know I'll see them.
I know that I’ve not been talking about people a lot lately, so here are a couple that we are working with. The first I’ve already mentioned a couple of times. Natalia Aldacour, she’s an inactive member that has attended sacrament meeting for 2 weeks in a row now. I was really rather pleased to see her on Sunday and we’ve been visiting her about twice a week. She has pretty much has zero support in relation to the church considering the fact that the 2 of her sisters that are members are inactive and her mom is as well. Her dad is anti and so is her boyfriend, with whom she lives. It makes things complicated but she really has a strong desire to come back to the fold and make changes in her life. I know that the Lord will provide a way for her, I just hope that she can stick to her guns when it all hit the fans. It’s so hard for people to stick up for the gospel when the going gets tough and there’s no one at their back. That’s why we’re trying to get the branch involved, so that she can have a support system for when she’s on the ropes.
Carlos.....is another story entirely. He’s a man that we met on the street who was just railing on the mormons for not greeting with besos. Yea...not cool. Anyways, one day we passed his house and he called us over and we had a nice chat and set up a lesson for the next afternoon in the church with the branch president and us. It was a tough lesson because he talks A LOT!!! But it was still rather fun. Then, on Saturday we were in the neighborhood and once more he called us over and took us into his shed and showed us what his grandson does with his spare time. Turns out he builds cages for and breeds reptiles. Iguana monsters and about 4 snakes, all in seperate cages. It was really actually quite cool, til he told us that his daughter thinks that we’re from the CIA. We’ve heard stuff like that before and I’ve heard it my whole mission and so we just laughed with him and told him that we’d see him at church tomorrow. He laughed and told us like 5 times that he’d be there. At 9, he sent us a message telling us that his family is convinced that we’re cia agents and that he might not be able to come on Sunday. Sunday morning, he sent a message saying that his wife practically threw him out of the house when she found out that we’d been on their property and that she’s convinced that we’re sent from the cia to dominate latino america using a false god and a false christ. We told him we’d stop by on the way to church. We get there and clap and his wife comes out and tells us that he left. She then tells us that he’s nuts and actually in bed asleep....Problem is....he doesn’t behave like he’s nuts. And he understands everything we talked about in relation to the gospel....so yea. We’re really not too sure who’s nuts in this whole thing.
Finally, I’ll tell you about Jean. He’s the 9 year old son of 2 memebers. The
step dad is recently reactivating himself and his mom got baptized a
year ago this month. He plays soccer a ton and goes to the anglo
institute on top of regular school because he and his mother are
studying english. Freakin brits… They only learn british english here.
Bit funny really, yet frustrating at the same time because some people
get snooty about speaking british english. That said, I’ve not met too
many that can actually speak so I dunno….Anyways, he’s a great kid. He
drinks up everything we say and has a great memory. It’s a bit of a
challenge for me to teach someone of his age, seeing as he’s the 3rd
investigator of that age that I’ve had in my mission and teaching kids
is a bit of a challenge for me. I have to find examples that they can
understand and tend to speak a great deal about cakes and desserts as
examples. I do like food.... Anyways, he should be getting baptized on
the 24, but his parents have been putting off the date since the
beginning of the month, so that has been our principle challenge. I love
him to death, I just hope that his family can get excited and that he
can make a covenant with God!
Thats about all for this week,
Elder Andy


No comments:
Post a Comment