Hi,
The area we are in is called tres cruzes. Triple-X for short. A lot of the people are really poor and everybody lives in cinderblock or brick houses. Probably 30 percent are fairly well off by american standards but more oft than not, a lot are just really poor, and some are fairly prideful in their destitution. It's interesting to say the least.
We're currently working with a 14 year old named Matias. We've taught him the first lesson and had him reading parts of the Book of Mormon. He asked about the law of chasitity so we taught him that as well. We're currently trying to get him to come to church on sundays because he has a fecha (baptism date) and so we need him to go!
He's got a tournament that's happening on Sundays though for his team so we have to work around that. He's really receptive and seems genuinely interested. I hope it all works out. BY the way, whenIi say we taught or we teach, my comp does most of the teaching and I bear testimony near the end and add bits here and there. That's really all i can do for now.
My comp is Elder Johnson from Logan Utah. He's a metal head as well and he really loves doing the work. We laugh and joke a lot and we talk about everything. There are a lot of hills in the area and we do a lot of walking. My feet are slightly swollen every night but that's to be expected. I've yet to wake up sore so that's a good thing. We walk long distances sometimes and so to kill the time we talk about books and movies. I spent 4 hours detailing enders game and we're currently on day 4 of battlefield earth :)
The ward we're a part of is super fiel (faithful) which is nice. They're all very kind and love saying hello to us, waving when they see us, or honking as they drive past (usually on glorified dirt bikes). The dirt bikes are everywhere, they're obscenely loud and i really just don't like them. We wave a lot.
We eat a lot of rice and chicken. I eat oatmeal for breakfast usually with some fried eggs. We make popcorn sometimes and Elder Johnson likes to make crepes some mornings. We're trying to borrow a waffle maker this weekend because it's my comps birthday and we want to celebrate.
The weather has been nicer this week. Not nearly as humid at all. It really has not been muggy which is such blessing and i hope i don't jinx us by saying that. Overcast somedays and we did catch some gnarly rain on like Wednesday. Got soaked a couple times actually but it really wasn't that bad. It hasn't been too hot and if i go without a backpack I do pretty well. Sometimes the nights and mornings are cold so I usually hang around the vivienda (apartment) in sweats and i'm fine. Christmas isn't nearly as commercialized down here as it is in the states so we really have yet to see anything christmas related at all.
So one day we were off in the back country. And a chicken crossed the road in front of us. Naturally, Elder Johnson asks, why did the chicken cross the road? I reply, to get away from the missionaries!! We see that all the time so it's just great to see that chickens do it too. We are supposed to preach the gospel to EVERY creature and this one just waan't havin it. Eesh. Missionary humor.... We did have this gnarly ant problem when we got to the house yesterday and Elder Johnson did work with some raid and a lighter. No more ant problem
Tell grami i'm getting a portugese Book of Mormon tomorrow and I plan on reading it and that i'll be looking for a tutor when I get home :)
I totally got called a devil yesterday. This guy chased us down and asked if we were servants of Satan and what the difference between Satan and Christ was. We tried to share our message but he just wasn't having it. He then asked how old we were and why we were half way across the world sharing religious stuff instead of partying and being immoral like he was at 19. I'm here because I KNOW Jesus Christ is my savior. I know that this is his work and it can bring a happiness and solace that no other thing on this earth can. I'm a literal servant of God the Eternal Father and I'm here to share his gospel of love. That's why I'm here.
Well that's all i've got for now!
Pasen bien.
Chau
Elder Simpson
P.S.
Hey one more thing! Tell anyone who uses the urugoeste@gmail.com to write to me to also include an addresss to which I can send letter back, because I can not email back and without an address I cant's write them.
Chau

No comments:
Post a Comment