Hi All,
This week has been.......full. We did a little teaching but right now we really have no progressing investigators which really gets discouraging at times... The guy who came to church now works a job for 14 hours a day, 6 days a week and sunday is his only day off. He's 15 and lives about an hour to hour and a half walk from the church. We called him and talked to him and he said he's done. He believes in what we are teaching and that it really is the truth but right now he really just doesn't have the time for it. It's rather sad and i hope he can find the time later on. We left on good terms so I think we left a lot of seeds for him to mull over.
I love the 'Guayans. They're very nice people and they aren't afraid to talk to you unless you start talking about the Gospel. Then a lot of them wave the finger, tell us no and leave. :) A lot of the people work at plants, make bricks, work at stores they operate out of their front room, work on farms or just don't work. There's a decent amount of cops too but a lot of them live in Montevideo for a week and work and then have a week off at home. Their quality of life leaves a lot to be desired, but most of them are happy with that.
Every one is always drinking Mate (mah-tay) and most of them have bad teeth. AC doesn't exist nor does carpet. Aside from the creature comforts the states knows, they're pretty well supplied with gadgets and food. I go to a ward called tres cruces and there are about 90 members that are mostly consistent in attendance. We meet in a full blown church building and there are 3 or 4 in Rivera, which is pretty much where i'm at. The stake center is rather nice too and all the buildings are beautiful and well kept. It's about a 30 to 40 minute walk to the church for us so we make sure we have everything before we leave the house. Few of the members drive cars, more drive motos (scooters or really really small dirt bikes. Most people i'`ve seen on one is 6) and the rest walk. And yes, EVERYONE speaks spanish. I've met 2 people in this area that speak english. One is a member that learned it on his mission and the other is a lady that lived in Australia for 25 years.
I've been reading in the Book of Mormon a lot lately and i'm currently in Alma 60. I love Moroni, Pahoran and Helaman. Men of such a caliber that the world rarely sees. True heros. I love reading out of it's pages and I'm a little bit sad when I realize that I'm out of study time. Never thought I'd be this missionary :) The Book of Mormon really is the word of God. I can feel the power of the testimony of the men who wrote it. It's words really do testify of Jesus Christ, his works and his divinity as the living Son of God.
That being said. Time for a funny story. We were at a members house this last week and their son has a recently shaved head. I asked the father if he was going to do the same. Unfortunately, i said ¿se va a afeitar su corbata tambien? No response. So i tried it again, this time a little bit more clearly. He gave me another weird look. Then my companion chuckled and said, no i don't think he's gonna shave his tie. :D We really had just been talking about ties and so i got corbata stuck in my head and it just so happened to take the place of the word pelo, which is hair. Gotta love spanish.
Well that's all for now!
Chau
Elder Simpson

No comments:
Post a Comment