Monday, April 16, 2012

Tranqueras Uruguay - April 16th 2012


Hi All,

Weather wise, it rained all day Tuesday. The storm started at like 4 am in the morning and it was just cold enough that I could wear my trench coat without the thermal lining and only just be a little bit hot. That's tolerable. That said, I was told by a member that I looked like a secret agent and that if I was a little darker, like Will Smith from "Men in Black". I don't see it but hey! I don't mind getting told I look deadly. Same day, a fit of insanity overcame me and I sang in the streets. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!?! I've taken to singing lately, a cross between Spanish and English hymns and any snatches of songs I can remember from home. Think there is sunshine in my soul today crossed with blacken the cursed sun.

Wednesday, we had a great noche de hogar (Family Home Evening) with a couple members and Ricardo, who got baptized on Saturday. More on that later. Anyway, great lesson. We taught the word of wisdom and he said he'd stop drinking coffee. Then they all started saying how great of elders we are and that we're the best ever and this and that and the other and it was really amazing.

Seriously. It's not us. We're just out here trying our best to help the All Powerful Creator with His work. It's not us. Really it's not. Anyway, we were a 20 minute walk from home and got out of the lesson at 9:20 pm  ..............................................We ran. Hard. Our investigator thought it was funny and ran with us. We made it home at 9:29 pm. Gotta be obedient. The next day, Ricardo told us how great he thought it was that we are that worried about the rules. People are always watching.

Friday, our district leader bussed in with his companion at 7:30 in the morning. We got Ricardo and they had a baptismal interview while Elder Larson and I made pancakes and omlettes. That was a lot of fun. He passed the interview by the way.

Saturday, BAPTISM. 'Nuff said. K maybe I'll explain some more. It was great. We had 4 investigators show up and Elder Larson and I sang "I love to look for rainbows". The branch president baptized him which is wonderful. That afternoon, we went and picked up lunch from a member and got to the branch house at 1 pm and started filling the font. We were in and out of the building for the rest of the day, teaching lessons and cleaning. The font has a few small leaks. That was exciting to find out. Anyway, everything went well.



We had 25 people show up and Ricardo was very very happy with the way things turned out. So was I.  Afterward, we emptied the font with 2 buckets. Bout a half hour of solid bailing. Cleaned the floor, set up the chairs and home by 9:15.

 Sunday, we had lunch with an investigating family, a first for me and my companion. Their 14 year old daughter is getting baptized this saturday. Their 12 year old is unsure. The mom has to get married. After weeks of work, the husband has said yea what the heck let's do it. Now they just have to get birth certificates for their 7 kids and they'll get married sometime soon. The dad is starting to like us and their 16  year old who barely comes out when we're over, asked to listen to us today. Wish us luck.

Today we went to a sisters house and cleaned her  yard for about an hour and a half. Afterward, we ate with her. Then we went to the branch building, swept the floors, pulled the font back out and patched it. Now I'm here, writing you.

I recently finished the Book of Mormon, this morning to be precise, again. I'm so thankful for this book in my life. I get to teach from it everyday and there is so much to be learned from it. I tried that Mormon guy on his promise yesterday and the Lord told me I already know it's true. It's true. I already know that it's true but it's okay to ask for a reassurance every single day. That way, we're working out our spiritual muscles each day. I've been really grumpy in the mornings lately and I don't know why. I talked to the Lord about it and he said that I had to serve my companion and choose to be happy. Happiness is a choice. Even in the gospel we face rough days, even when everything is going alright. You have to take an active part in how you feel.

2 Corinthians 4:5-9
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake.
 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
 8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
 9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

We preach Jesus Christ not the gospel of mankind! We are persecuted but never forsaken! Rise and fight. Bare your teeth and rain the brutal fury of salvation upon their heads. With the blade in our hands we are quick and deadly, light shining from every orafice. The fierce warriors called upon by our Savior to crush the foe beneath our heel. On my dear friends, to triumph, bathed in the blood of our enemy. On, to salvation and the eternities, striking on the left and right, clearing the path for those that follow. We are troubled on every side, but we the vessels of light lead the way. Falter not, the way is steep now. Look high, to the peak! There, in His majesty, he stands with arms out stretched. Cleave your foe with each blow. Perplexed, but not in despair! Rise up and fight! To arms for the cause of Christ!

Chau chau!

Elder Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment