Hi All,
I got up today and made french toast for my comp and I. Originally I wasn't going to, but I've really been focusing on being charitable this week and this obnoxiously persistent little voice in the back of my head kept telling me to make him a portion. As soon as I gave in I felt a lot better and it wasn't grudging giving after about 5 minutes. It was really tasty and my new apron works great.
Speaking of my focus on charity, we talked a lot about how we can develope christ-like attributes during district meeting. Our entire purpose as missionaries is to invite others to come to Jesus Christ. Well, invite provides the implication that we are at least near by Him if not at His side. In order to be located in such a position, we have to become more like Him, hence the dire need to develope said attributes. (See Preach My Gospel Chapter 9.) Anyway, I've been setting daily goals and have a 9 week program to follow in order to develope such attributes and check my progress. Eesh I'm a nerd.... Anyway, being like Christ isn't as easy as it sounds!
I'm constantly striving to follow and recognize the promptings of the spirit. You made a hunch comment in your first letter to me in uruguay and it still saves my skin. The Spirit brings so many things to my mind at different times everyday and I know it's because I'm trying to purify this vessel. So many words of advice, so many things that I've read, all in this combative struggle to be a true follower of the Redeemer of Mankind.
I'm very thankful for my sleeping bag and warm water. It's
not too cold yet but i'm starting to see signs of what's in store for me.
It does not make me happy. You know how much I loathe winter. That said, the
weather was fair until about thursday so i guess fall got more than it's
fair share of the year and it's winters turn.
As for pdays in the big city, I like to clean some, wash clothes by hand, which should answer that question for you, write you guys and maybe do a little shopping in the local super store. Other than that I read things like the ensign, Jesus the Christ and Articles of Faith by James E. Talmage and write letters. I also enjoy long walks on the beach, star gazing and a hot cup of cocoa. :D
I'll explain the baptism in a bit and I'm feeling good. I'm starting to understand the things that I can do to be happy in my situation and what I can do to make sure that we have a stronger measure of the Spirit in our companionship. That's not to say I don't get frustrated anymore but I'm discovering ways to prevent and disperse said frustration without being a total jerk. That tends to kill the spirit.... Anyways, I'm happy a lot and it's going great. My prayers have been improving and I'm focusing a lot on my daily goals for CLA and my scripture studies. It's great. As for the temple, I don't know if I'll have another chance to go while I'm down here.
I gave my first full blessing in spanish this last week. I've always just anointed, deferring the blessing to my companion because I lack confidence in my ability to be a mouthpiece for the Lord in another tongue. Well, the member, Luna's father to be exact, asked me to provide the blessing.... It was hard for me to follow the Spirit, being in spanish and all, but I'm so thankful for the opportunity that I have to act in the Name of God and utilize the Holy Priesthood that I have been authorized to use.
I must say it's always rather weird to answer the phone in english, tell the caller who I am and then have them speak to me in english.... I was overjoyed to talk to brother Eccles and I hope he makes it back to the states in safety. I'm freakin stoked over the package that I got and WAS NOT EXPECTING and I was also rather curious about the lack of u.s. postal service markings on said package and then it all came together the next morning with Brother Eccles called. That was a great pick me up. I love the apron and the tea and the chocolates and the lemon heads. I've worn the shirt once and it's now packed in a plastic bag to protect it for the next 14 months.... I just can't bring myself to ruin such a beautiful beautiful article of clothing.....
FYI, I bought Hungarian made pretzles.... and about had a heart attack. It's just like american salty goodness! BAHAHA it was stupendous! First legit pretzels I've found in 10 months and I about had a fit from all my joy. It was great.
There is a quote from Elder 'Velazquez ... It goes something like this, "It's not who we are born to be, but who we have in ourselves to become." The Gospel changes lives. You can see it in the eyes of those it has changed. I would know. I see the difference between the sad old man that I found and the man who shined with the Spirit after I brought him out of the waters of baptism. Christ heals all wounds. I know it.
Para que sepa, the baptism went well....right up until I pulled Joel out of the water. We then vamoosed to the bathroom to dry off and change. Well, about 2 minutes later a member stepped in and asked me to throw on my wet shirt and go back to the font. That was weird but I did anyway. They then asked me to drain the font and I was like "ohhhhhh Okay" and then I asked where my comp was and why he hadn't done it...Well turns out, he didn't even have to get in the water, because Luna had a panic attack and DID NOT want to get baptized.... sad day. Anyway, that night we talked to her and it turns out that she hadn't been reading the scriptures. Our fault for not verifying commitments. How can we expect people to take the leap of baptism if they're not taking the little steps that lead up to it? We can't. We'll keep working with her.
Well that is about all for this week.
All my Best,
Elder Andy





No comments:
Post a Comment