Monday, October 8, 2012

Cardona Uruguay - Oct 8th 2012

Hi All,

This week was indeed transfer week. Elder Rosete and I are gonna stick here together for the next 6 weeks, and I’m okay with that. We're working so hard out here and I'm just tired of having everyone say no. It makes me sad that they are rejecting their salvation. On the plus side, we're getting really good at contacting.  I'm not discouraged, by any means. I know that this is the Lord's labor and that really none of this rests on my shoulders. Now that I've said it, I just have to believe it and apply it right? I'm sure I'll be praying even more now, which is cool because I really like talking to God. He knows everything which is really comforting.

I’ve been learning a lot from my companion too, and I really feel like I’m progressing as a missionary. I love that he and I are always looking for ways to improve ourselves as missionaries and servants of Christ. It means we are always working on something. Usually it’s our teaching and understanding of the doctrine, but as of late we’ve been a little bit short on investigators, so we’ve really been focusing on ourselves. It’s been interesting to see all the things that we know need to be different and that we can change. Sometimes it’s little things, sometimes it’s really really big things. Either way, we know that through concerted effort it can be rectified, improved and even entirely changed for the better. I’m so glad we have the Atonement. Without it, there’s not even a reason for us to have FAITH! The Atonement justifies the necessity of faith in this existence. How cool is that?

Also. I was notified this morning that I’m the new District Leader. That’s a rather crippling thing to contemplate. Fortunately, I know that  I don’t have to handle anything that’s on my plate alone. Heck, I don’t even think it’s my plate to handle. I’m the fork, so who am I to quell at the thought of grabbing something bigger? Since when does the fork talk back to the Hand of God?? Anyways, I’m excited and more than a little bit nervous. We’ll see how this change goes, one day at a time.

Weather here has been rainy, overcast and HUMID for the past week. So humid your bed is damp when you get in it and the walls of the bathroom stay soaked all day long.  I’m really tired of the rain. Somebody must have been talking to the Rain Wizard. Whoever it was, will you let him know that I’m Tired of this Rain?

I spent a couple of different days this week seeing if we could hook the church computer up to the tv, and I couldn’t get it to work out, so we just moved the computer out in front of the office and watched conference live. Usually branches go out to another larger branch or ward to watch conference, but because we have so few members, which means a small budget, we couldn’t afford the trip. The streaming was a little bit stuttery at times and sometimes it flat out choked, but we made it through and heard all of the regular sessions of conference. I was not so blessed as to have heard the priesthood session, so perhaps next week I'll print out one or two of the talks. Perhaps I'll merely wait for the Liahona, so I can study everything better. As such, we watched the whole thing in our building, in Spanish. Which wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I know that I could probably have learned a lot more from it in English, but I still really enjoyed it, especially the hymns.

 When I heard Pres. Monson's announcement, I actually thought of my dad and the changes to the age and time requirements that were made during his mission. I'm sure one day I'll make a comment to my children and have to explain that the mission ages haven't always been so low, and that when I was in the mission field they made the change. :) That'll be fun.

I really found it interesting how much they talked about the necessity of service in our lives as members. To me, it also seemed like a lot of talks spoke about the importantce of geneology. I’m starting to understand more and more of why that work is so important, so we’ll see if I get a little more involved in that after the mission.

I know that the Lord is effecting the changes in me that are necessary now to prepare me for future changes. Here's to the consecration of the life of another disciple of Jesus Christ. Onward my friends, into the gaping jaws of death and hell. We ride as conquerors. Despite our knowledge of the ultimate outcome, the fight will still require our greatest efforts.

Elder Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment