Monday, January 7, 2013

Tacuarembó Uruguay - Jan 7th 2013


Hey All,

My new companion is Elder Lamb. Unfortunately,  He is from Kamloops Canada, about three hours outside of Vancouver. He's 6 feet tall with blond hair and blue eyes so we totally look like CIA agents now. It's pretty cool. We get along really really well. We have a lot of fun together and I think we're working the hardest that I've worked in my mission. I'm not even kidding on that one. Already,we're seeing miracles and I'm so thankful for the help of the Lord thus far in my mission. I know that I will continue to see His hand as I continue to apply the entirety of my heart to this work.

Elder Lamb is super super excited to be in the field and we've had a great start together. He went to the MTC in Argentina. It's a little interesting being the companion that  knows EVERYTHING in the companionship and that has to do EVERYTHING. It's not a bad thing and he helps a ton and we're practicing a lot on giving him time to teach and a lot of times I've just let him start the lessons. He's Spanish is probably about the same as mine was at the beginning so sometimes he understands a lot and has decent Spanish and other times he's totally lost and cannot put anything he wants to say in words but I swear to you he's already progressed a ton! 

The weather has actually been fairly nice. It was a little bit warm but it's really just been nice temps for the last 4 days. It's been over cast for the last 2 days, so no complaints from me. Our new phone should be arriving tomorrow in the bolsa (bag) at district meeting.

As for emulating the Savior, it's a daily struggle. Sometimes, I'm rather childish and some days I'm too serious and so I'm just trying to find the balance that the Lord used as He taught others. Severity, tempered by love. Intensity, mixed with humility. Power, manifested in a gentle touch. It's a bit of a challenging teaching style to copy, but that's why I'm here.


Funny story about these pillow cases.  Elder Childers and I opened presents together Christmas day. So he pulled his out and was like wow cool and then I pulled mine out and we just started laughing and laughing. Too good to be true.



We had a pretty interesting experience yesterday. We've been teaching a 19 year old named Enzo and he's the son of a member who has recently been reactivated. He's been really slow in his progress, but he's making changes and I know that the Lord is helping him. Our latest hurdle, getting him to church. Well, yesterday we went over to his house before church twice to look for him. No answer. Then we looked again during priesthood. No answer. So then no one showed up to the gospel principles class that I was supposed to sub. So we called his mom. She answered the phone. Turns out she had strep. Regardless we went over and she let us in and we marched on over and proceeded to wake Enzo up. Boy does he sleep DEEP. I talked to him for like 10 minutes straight trying to convince him to get out of bed. Then we gave a blessing to his mom and talked to him for 5 minutes more.....and he didn't get up. We left the house and I knew that we should have persisted, but I didn't know why.

So last night, I asked in prayer why getting them to church was so important. I know it is and I knew it is, but I couldn't exactly tell you why. Well, God answered me. I realized that the reason is that it makes so much of a difference in our lives! I look at my life when I wasn't going to church and when I was and there is a world of a difference. I was so unproductive before and lazy and now it's 100% different. I know the church is true.

President is really stressing perfect obedience in trainers and I know that I should be even more strictly obedient if I want to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost at all times in this His work.  I know it's not that much, but I want to help Elder Lamb have a lot better start of a mission than I did. We get up and run at 6:15 some days and we come home so tired every day. We've been teaching and finding new investigators already and we're both so excited and thankful for the miracles that the Lord has given us.

Have a great week.

Elder Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment