Wait a sec, where on earth did June go?? You mean I'm in the last full month of my mission service. Pause! That's not true! That's impossible! Ridiculous.... Down here, it's hot too. This last saturday was so so hot for this time of year. I was sweating all day long and the sun was brutal. It wasn't even cold at 6 am when we got up on Saturday and today so we could get some break dancing in. We might go again on Wednesday. It's super fun. And I feel super cool when we do it so it's great. :D . It's been really humid for almost a week now and finally we're supposed to have rain on Thursday. It was supposed to rain last Thursday pero no lluvio nada! We'll see what happens this week. I'm sick of getting into a cold damp bed at the end of the day. :)
My battle goes a lot better than the Lucha Libre that we saw at lunch the other day. We were at a members house and her 15 and 17 year old sons were glued to youtube watching argentinian lucha libre....it was....so so funny. I honestly couldn't believe that they were taking it seriously. There was supposedly some fighter from the states and they couldn't believe that we'd never heard of them. Oh my goodness I was laughing super hard. I think the annoucers and how serious they were about it was the funniest part. I'm almost positive it was on a comedy channel. At least, I really hope it was. Surely they couldn't take themselves seriously....
I've been having a good time with the photos when I take them. I always think of my dad and Craig when I take photos. The one with the tree and me looking down was....I don't actually know. Reminiscent of a Rodney Smith photo (He's my favorite photographer) and a band picture that Tool did once. I just thought it was a good touch. Everyone always smiles in front of crazy trees and I figured it would be interesting to make it look like my shoes were more interesting than the giant sprawling tree in the middle of the road.
I don't remember if I sent you the one with my comp walking in front of the tree but I like that one a lot.
My week was fast. We're really struggling to help our investigators progress and have a specific baptismal date which is such a driving force in this work. If they have a date, they have an end goal in sight and are aware of what we expect of them and that they can actually accomplish such an important change in a short period of time. So, we're going to be working on that.
On Sunday, Elder Zaballos and Elder Chappe of the 70 came to reorganize our stake. That was pretty cool. Elder Chappe talked about the constant importance of reading the scriptures daily, praying and going to church every week. Elder Zaballos talked about some super tall palm trees that he saw one time in Inda. They were all laying on the ground but they were enormously tall. Upon closer investigation, he found that the roots were very very short because the trees grew so fast. In the windier season of the year, a single giant gust would come along and topple every single one of the trees. Then, he compared that to a forest that he saw in Chile. He was not expecting to see trees on the drive, given that it was a desert area. On the horizon, he saw that forest and was captivated. Later, he learned that life there was possible for a reason. While not nearly as tall, these trees were rather plain, some what ugly and fat. But. They lived there. And they were close packed trees. Their roots extended deep into the earth, something like 5 or 6 meters he said and they spread and intertwined with the roots of the other trees. At night, in the desert, a vaporous fog would fall and soak the earth. The sensitive and searching roots would gratefully suck up this sustaining moisture, to be strengthened. This process allows them to endure fierce winds, scorching heat and crushing cold. Now. I'll let the reader find the application that this has in our lives.
Well, that's pretty much my week. I can't believe that time is going by so fast and that it's all wrapping up. It makes me sad and I'm trying as hard as I can to cram as much as possible into the time I have left. I'm learning lots and have daily testimony builders. Most of all. I know that Christ lives. I know that the scriptures testify of Him. I do not doubt that.
This is what I read today in my study in Words of Mormon. I raise my voice with the voice of Mormon.
10 Wherefore, it came to pass that after Amaleki had delivered up these plates into the hands of king Benjamin, he took them and put them with the other plates, which contained records which had been handed down by the kings, from generation to generation until the days of king Benjamin.
11 And they were handed down from king Benjamin, from generation to generation until they have fallen into my hands. And I, Mormon, pray to God that they may be preserved from this time henceforth. And I know that they will be preserved; for there are great things written upon them, out of which my people and their brethren shall be judged at the great and last day, according to the word of God which is written.
Also see 2 Nephi 29.11 and 25.26.
Elder Andy

No comments:
Post a Comment