Sunday, October 2, 2011

Missionary letter from Sept 29 2011

Hi All,

All the elders in my district are bound for montevideo oeste and there are hermanas (sisters) but there are none in my district. I think there are like 8 now. We just had transfers today in fact. We are watching General Conference live on Saturday in english but we're watching priesthood the next morning and then everything else live on Sunday.   (Note: Argentina is one timezone ahead of Eastern).  Sunday's are always in English which makes them and p-days the best. :)

During proselitismo (proselyting) I defiantly had a faith building experience. Elder Tyree and I went back to a guy named Cristian we had met the week before and talked to briefly. Unfortunately, that was the day he decided to open up to us. He sat there and talked to us in very rapid nearly incoherent spanish about how much he loves his family, how he had to leave them behind in Peru and how he dearly wants to be with them forever. I didn't understand a word he said. And that, is the gift of tongues. I know without a shadow of a doubt, that's what he was speaking about yet I could not  understand him for the life of me. Elder Tyree and I walked away from it feeling desperate and somewhat depressed yet when we conferred, we both knew of what he spoke. I testify to you that was such a blessing of the holy ghost.

I learn at such an accelerated rate that I promise it's the Lord blessing me. I know this is his work, which is why i can teach lessons and understand a great deal more now than I did three weeks ago. The Lord watches us and blesses us which is why he sent a lightning storm to Buenos Aires last night. he knew i'd get up and would be fascinated by the almost constant rumble of thunder and rapid flashes of pure electric power. God's the best. No proselitismo (proselyting) this weekend so I'll have to come up with some other stories to tell you guys.

Proselitismo (proselyting) was great. We knocked doors for half of the time and then street contacted too. Juan was there and he had some really heavy questions. He opened with, in the Book of Mormon, why did so many people die for their faith. That was great to try and answer :) he then moved on to the importance of Mary in his life and why wasn't she mentioned as a member of the godhead?  Then we talked about the after life, all in broken Spanish. But i'd say my Spanish is 500% or 600% better by now than when I got here. My English is getting worse and worse though and I'm constantly frustrated by the fact that I don't know the words to express what I'm feeling or how to say what I want to. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the locals don't know the words I have an affinity for when I find them in the dictionary. I mentioned the word for necromancer and also for leviathan and they looked at  me like I was speaking a different language. Pun intended  :)

For now I'm going to call the email good so I can be sure to get you those pictures. The lord is blessing us in his work. When they announce the number of active serving missionaries in General Conference, know I'm one of those numbers. :)

Elder Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment